Saturday, September 26, 2009

Checking up, trying not to check out

So, it is the ninth month of the year, a year that has actually seen a great deal of action, if I am being objective. I figure this is a good time to look back at my New Year's goals and see how I am doing. This is what they were:

1) Exercise more (3 times a week or more) and lose about 20 pounds so that I comply with the darn BMI for being normal.
2) Be more diligent with my work.
3) Finish my thesis and graduate with my Masters in May.
4) Last year I had a "hospitality" resolution that went okay, but I want to continue with that pursuit.
5) Buy "The Joy of Cooking" and do something with it.
6) For some reason I wanted to start blogging. I do not know why but was able to come up with some reasons for not:
a) I will probably get myself in trouble
b) I will probably offend people
c) I should be working on my thesis instead
d) will I really be able to come up with anything to write about?
but, I guess I will give it a shot and aim to post at least once a week.

1) Really who knows?!! Over the course of the year I have done well and not so well with this goal. Mostly not so good. I think at this point I am exercising three times a week or more. I think in the last few weeks I have lost some weight. For a while, say July and August, I was pretty much eating out more than I was eating in as there was no refrigerator or stove at Eric's. Then I wasn't settled in yet here in Chicago so I wasn't cooking too much. But now I am back on the cooking band wagon so my food is more controlled in terms of portion sizes and nutritional content. My walk to and from the train for work is also helpful as well as the fact that I am walking a great deal at work over the last couple of weeks as a result of the work I am doing which requires me to get work out of a cabinet, work on it at my desk, make a copy, file in it in a file drawer, and the copy machine and file cabinets are not very close to my desk so I estimate I am walking at least two miles a day in the office. I do not, however, think I am close to having lost 20 pounds. As winter approaches, I am going to have to join a gym. I am thinking of the YMCA because there is one a couple stops before I get home that I could stop at on my way home. Other ideas include taking some dance classes as having paid for something, being expected to attend, and being told what to do when there does wonders for getting me there over having paid for a membership and having to be self directed.
2) Ha, I think this is a life goal. I am still working on it. However I am proud to say I have made some good progress over the last two weeks in getting my room in order. The pile of stuff on my desk has been reduced by at least 2/3 and just about anyone can navigate through my room. Now I just need some time and some help to get stuff on the walls. I think what I meant by diligence with my work was more my school work and teaching. I think I did pretty well in making that all happen.
3) DONE! Achieved that one!
4) I think I am doing pretty well with this one. I have had people over several times for dinner since I moved in and will probably continue to do so.
5) DONE! I bought the book and I have been making stuff out of it. Forgot this one was on the list. I should probably do more with it. I made some chicken curry this week that was based on two recipes in the book. I don't really like the format of the recipes and that there are no pictures, but there is a lot of good information in there that I should take better advantage of in the near future.
6) Blogging has not gone so well, on the whole. I have tried my best to stay out of trouble but to speak the truth as I know it. I haven't gotten in much trouble, but I also have done a great deal of censorship, which has several times led to a whole post not getting posted. Sucks. I'll try to do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment