Sunday, January 4, 2009

Getting Dressed

One of the hardest things about living in "cold country," as my dad calls it, is getting properly dressed. It is literally freezing outside so you have to dress for it. For me this means multiple layers of stuff that will keep me warm. But then if you go inside you are burning up. This problem is ubiquitous, I realize. In Florida the problem was that it was a sauna outside and a refrigerator inside so I always had to have a sweater. Anyway, when I first moved here I put on my thermals one day and walked to school. Once I got into my office I thought I was going to go up in flames as it was warm in there and I had on two layers of pants and probably three layer on top. I learned quickly to adjust my layers differently- wear two jackets and then take them off and the like. However I am still struggling with what to wear when I go outside to exercise during the winter. The challenge is that I have to be warm enough at the beginning of the workout to warm up but not too hot at the end when I have worked up a sweat. Not that working up a sweat was a big problem when I set out this morning as I was not about to run with all the ice that is all over the place. Which is the other challenge. I don't want to end up splat on the ground! And that ice is sneaky! This morning I passed a girl who was running along, I wasn't sure how she was dodging the ice and staying on her feet as I encountered many places with ice that was hard to identify until you were on top of it. Then there were the places where the ice was at least and inch thick- seriously, people, get rid of that stuff! The solution may be to just go to the gym!! Which I plan to do tomorrow.

So I have been thinking more about this blogging thing and I don't know how this is going to go. Am I going to be able to write about anything interesting? In my thinking I have come to the conclusion that I have a lot of secrets and I am opinionated, but I don't want to cause too many problems for myself or say, Eric.

I decided to RSVP for the Ski Trip, finally. =). Amber asked me about it multiple times and my response, was always "We'll see how things go." Well, I put in on the calendar so it is set in stone!

So my oldest friend, Kimberli McGorman, is getting married! Yay! I am super happy for her. We met in pre-school. Her mom was one of my pre-school teachers. Then we continued to do Pioneer Girls and go to church together. She was one of the influences resulting in me deciding to go to Tetzlaff instead of Whitney for Junior High. Kim was always a social butterfly. She brought Molly and I together, and I remember in eighth grade when she told me I *would* be friends with the Amandas. That turned out fine, I guess, but that is a totally other story. Kim moved up to Oregon when we graduated from high school and has been there since. Well I guess she actually lives in Washington now so she can be closer to Jeremy and commutes to her job at Whole Foods in Portland. Anyway, congratulations to Kimberli and Jeremy who are getting married in April!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you RSVP'd for the ski trip! It's going to be a lot of fun and we're really happy you can make it. :)

    ReplyDelete