Monday, January 5, 2009

What a Monday!

I really wanted tacos for dinner, I don't know why, but by the time I got home there was no way I was going to get any. Two things delayed me. First, it was dark and cold outside, I had my laptop in my backpack and my gym bag so it seemed logical to take the bus. So I looked at the clock and found that the bus was supposed to come at 5:50 pm. So I was waiting in the union and saw that there was a guy waiting outside at the bus stop. The expected time came and went and there was no bus, not surprising. So when I finally saw a Route 62 bus coming I headed outside. The guy at the bus stop moved closer to the stop. The bus slowed, but didn't stop! This is particularly odd because that stop is the end of the line and often the bus drivers take a break there so it is extremely rare for the bus not to stop at all. The conspiracy theorist in me is beginning to think that there is a notice out to bus drivers not to pick me up as this is the third time in the last five days something similar has happened.

As I was missing the bus, I was on the phone with my dad who I was asking how quickly my heart rate should drop when I run. He said his doctors have told him 20 in a minute is good, in case you are wondering. He told me I shouldn't call him to ask such questions, I should use the Internet like he does. Nice. Anyway, my dad advised me to walk home, so I headed back into the Union and through Bolton. In the hallway I encountered a guy. He wanted to borrow a writing implement so he could write down a phone number from a flyer, so I loaned him a pen and gave him paper. "I applied for a job today," he said.
"Really?" I said, "why is that ironic?"
"Well, work might be hard," he replied.
I think I guffawed. I think what he was getting at was that it is hard to work and go to school at the same time. I learned a lot about this guy. His name is Nick, he went to Lakeland College in Sheboygan, he wants to be an astronaut- live in space and work there. He is kinda in trouble because we have neither aeronautical engineering nor astronautical engineering at UWM. He was wandering the halls in search of Red Mountain Dew which is sold in only one machine in the Bolton/Union/Lubar complex. Oh yeah, he hasn't had a girlfriend in 2 years and doesn't feel like he is in a good spot to get into a relationship considering the time and effort required. Also he apparently doesn't get out much because he feels he must limit his social life in order to do well in school. At first I was waiting to get debriefed- like he was doing some kind of social experiment to see how long I would talk to him. Then as he asked, "Are you walking this way?" I thought, "Oh my God he is going to rape and kill me!" But, of course, I left him standing in the building with his red Mountain Dew. I called Brad he said he was hitting on me, but then he always thinks people are hitting on me. On the other hand Ryan says I never pick up on people trying to hit on me. I don't know the whole thing was kinda weird, but humorous. And it put me back at least ten minutes... and however long it has taken me to type about it.

While I was running on the treadmill this morning at the gym I watched most of the Roland Burris press conference. Why was a press conference held in an airport? Aren't they crowded enough and have to address enough security concerns without a bunch of reporters with cameras hanging around? It was a pretty repetitive press conference... "What will you do when you are turned away from the Senate?" "I feel I am the answer to the problems of the people of Illinois."

Okay enough for today... next time maybe a little about technology dependence.

No comments:

Post a Comment